SOUTH COAST AND GLACIER RIDE
Ride a snowmobile, walk behind a waterfall and explore the south coast from above and "below"
Tour duration 11 Hours
South Coast with an Adventurous Twist
This is the perfect tour for those seeking a bit extra thrill while ticking off some of Iceland’s must sees. The tour offers a fun, scenic and comfortably challenging snowmobiling ride. It is a great way to explore and experiencing the wilderness and get in touch with the glacier.
The tour starts with a drive through the Hellisheiði mountain pass bringing you through moss covered lava fields and past geothermal springs down to farmland along the beautiful southern coastline. The first stop on the way starts with a snowmobile ride to the Mýrdalsjökull glacier, close to the volcano Katla caldera. The scenery there can be quite intense, with Eyjafjallajökull glacier watching over us from the west and the breathtaking view over the South coast of Iceland.
On our way back to Reykjavík, we stop by the the powerful Skógafoss Waterfall where a short walk up a flight of steps will reveal one of Iceland’s most scenic views. We then stop at the 60-metre high Seljalandsfoss Waterfall, famous for the hidden pathway behind and around it.
Join our tour and step aboard one of our new buses, fully equipped with WiFi connected computer tablets for each guest. The tablets provide you with a continuous stream of relevant information along the journey with a GPS synced Audio Guide, available with a choice of 10 languages. Along the tour our local hosts will make your experience comfortable and are happy to answer any questions you might have about our peculiar country. In each seat you will also find a USB outlet to charge any of your devices.
- Starting off in Reykjavik from our Reykjavik terminal at Skógarhlíð 10 we will depart for Hvolsvöllur, a 1.5hr. ride. This will be a 15 minute pit stop to grab light refreshments and use the facilities.
- The first site along the tour is then Solheimajökull Glacier, a humbling glacial tongue extending from the Myrdalsjökull glacier. You will be traveling from here to the base camp of Arcanium and getting prepared for the snowmobiling tour. You will be spending about 3-3.5 hours with them, so it is important to bring a lunch with you.
- Skógafoss waterfall will be the next stop after lunch with a stairway leading up to a views of glaciers, black sand beaches, and epic mountains.
- The final stop will be Seljalandsfoss waterfall with a walkway leading behind the waterfall. From here, the journey back to reykjavik will be about 1.5hrs.
- This tour is 11 hours long including travel time and the time you spend at each location. You spend at least 45 minutes at the major stops giving you plenty of time to enjoy the nature and to take some photos.
- Total distance covered: 340 km or 210 mi
- Please show up at our Reykjavik Terminal (located at Skógarhlíð 10) 15 minutes prior to the departure time. Please be ready at your pick up point with your voucher, either in digital or printed form.
- If you have booked a hotel pickup with Smartbus™, please be at your chosen pickup location 30 minutes before the departure of the tour. Look for the Green Smartbus™ which will be outside your accommodation at within the 30 minutes of pickup.
- You will be traveling in a coach that holds approximately 40-65 people, but is very spacious and comfortable. It is featured with lavatory facilites as standard and there will be plenty of stops where facilities can be used. The bus offers free wifi and USB charging ports.
- Lunch is not included, but in Hvolsvöllur there are shops where you can buy food and drinks.
- Available all year round (depending on weather)
- Please note: All drivers must be 17 years of age or older and have a full, valid driver's license. A learner's permit, tractor, or motorcycle license is not sufficient according to Icelandic law.
- Two riders share each snowmobile and single riders and groups travelling together with odd numbers are required to book a single ride extra.
- Min: No minimum number of participants.
- Age limit: 5 years old.
- Bring with you: Dress according to weather. In Iceland it is always wise to dress in warm, waterproof clothes. Weather changes can be sudden so expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended.
- In-Bus-Audio-Guide: We recommend that you bring your own headphones, simply because they will fit you best. It is also great for the environment. If you don’t have your headphones, with you or forgot to bring them, no worries we sell earphones on board.
- Duration: 10-11 hours, including a minimum 30 minute stop at Seljalandsfoss Waterfall, Skógafoss Waterfall.
- In bus audio guide with a choice of 10 languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Finnish)
- Professional driver & guide
- Experienced snowmobile guide
- Local knowledge
- Snowmobile equipment and approx 1 hour snowmobile ride
- Visit to all the top sites on the South Coast (Seljalandsfoss, Sólheimajökull & Skógafoss)
Bring with you: Dress according to weather. In Iceland it is always smart to dress in warm and waterproof clothes, weather changes are swift so prepare expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended.
In-Bus-Audio-Guide: Bring your own headphones. Otherwise we sell earphones on the bus.
For Snowmobiling: All equipment is provided . It is a good idea to bring some food along the way for when you return from snowmobiling adventure.