NORTHERN LIGHTS AND STARGAZING (Guided in 10 languages)
Guided in 10 languages.
Search for the rare and elusive northern lights (Aurora Borealis) in the skies around Reykjavík on this all time winter bestseller!
Tour duration 3 Hours
Book online and get instant reservation confirmation
For many, seeing the Northern Lights is the reason to travel to our northern island in winter. They are mesmerizing, and a sight that will not be forgotten.
It is simple, nothing says “Icelandic Winter” like the idea of hunting for the Aurora Borealis. Created by solar storms originating from the sun, the Northern Lights need clear winter skies to be seen.
Step on board one of our new buses, equipped with WiFi connected computer tablets in each seat. On the tablets you can watch, listen and read expertly written and recorded material about the northern lights and the stars in the Arctic skies. Available with a choice of 10 languages. In each seat you will also find a USB Charger and your own star map.
Our expert operational team has decades of experience analyzing weather patterns. We will review, each and everyday, the cloud forecast and the northern lights forecast in detail. We will not venture out in search of them unless we think we have good chance. This means we have a high success ratio.
All our northern lights tours are guided by one of our specially trained northern lights guides, they are both knowledgeable and helpful and will even give you tips on how to take photos of the night sky and of aurora. We offer free use of camera tripods (a must to take northern lights photos), we only have a few so if you own a tripod be sure to bring it along.
Every guide brings along an astronomical telescope for you to try out. Look for the stars and astronomy signs in sky using the provided star map and see the space that surrounds in a new way.
To search for the Auroras you need to stand outside in the Icelandic winter and you need to dress very warmly. We are the only operator to offer extremely warm “Aurora Jackets” and warm and waterproof winter boots for rent on our tours.
- Starting off in Reykjavik from our Reykjavik terminal at Skógarhlíð 10 we will head outside the city to get as far from light pollution as possible. The weather forecast plays a big influence on choosing the location, but we always try to get to the best possible sight with the best chances to view northern lights. The location can be anywhere from 30-60 minutes from Reykjavik
- Once at the location we will stay for approximately 1.5-2hrs hunting the northern lights before returning back to Reykjavik. Depending on the forecast multiple locations may be chosen for searching for aurora.
- The tour lasts around 3 hours, so we will return to Reykjavik around 2.5 hours after starting the tour.
- Please show up at our Reykjavik Terminal (located at Skógarhlíð 10) 15 minutes prior to the departure time. We kindly ask you to be ready at your pick up point with your voucher, either in digital or printed form.
- If you have booked a hotel pickup with Smartbus™, please be at your chosen pickup location 30 minutes before the departure of the tour. Look for the Green Smartbus™ which will be outside your accommodation at within the 30 minutes of pickup.
- You will be traveling in a coach that holds approximately 40-65 people, but is very spacious and comfortable. It is featured with lavatory facilities as standard. The bus offers free wifi and USB charging ports.
- Please note, it will not be possible to refund this tour in the event of an unsuccessful northern lights hunt. However, you may re-book the tour and continue coming back on subsequent tours until you have a night of successful northern lights.
- Price & Availability: See booking window on right.
- Teenagers 12-15 years: 50% Discount & children 0-11 years old free.
- Scheduled tours available: At 22.30 from August 15th - August 24th & April 15th to April 25th. At 22.00 from August 25th to October 15th & 15th of March to 14th of April. At 20.00 & 21.00 from October 16th - March 14th.
- Departures are highly dependant on weather.
- Min: No minimum number of participants and no age limit.
- Bring with you: Dress according to weather. In Iceland it is always wise to dress in warm, waterproof clothes. Weather changes can be sudden so expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended. You can also rent shoes and jackets when booking your tour online.
- In-Bus-Audio-Guide: We recommend that you bring your own headphones, simply because they will fit you best. It is also great for the environment. If you don’t have your headphones, with you or forgot to bring them, no worries we sell earphones on board.
- Duration: Approximately 3 hours.
- In bus audio guide with a choice of 10 languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Finnish)
- Knowledgeable Northern Lights guide
- Free Wi-fi and usb charger in every seat
- Photo memory of you and the northern lights (when aurora can be seen)
- Instructions about how to set up your camera to capture northern lights and the night sky
What do I need to bring
For the In-Bus-Audio-Guide: Bring your own headphones. Otherwise headphones are available for purchase in every bus from our hosts.
For your comfort: Dress according to weather. In Iceland it is always wise to dress in warm waterproof clothes. Weather changes can be sudden so be prepared for all weather conditions. Waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves, and warm socks/waterproof shoes are recommended, especially since we will be outside at night.